Potol Posto – Pointed Gourd in Poppy Seed Paste
Potol or pointed gourd is a summer vegetable in India but I get it all the time here in north america. This is a simple dish where Fried Potol is dipped into Poppy Seed paste.
Serving Size: 2-3 people
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- 6 large Potol or Pointed Gourd
- 2 tbsp Posto or Poppy Seeds soaked in water for about half an hour
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp Kalo jeera or Black Cumin
- Few Green Chillies slit
- Mustard oil
- Salt and Sugar to taste
- First rub the Pointed gourd with a knife and lightly take out the skin. Once done cut both ends and cut lengthwise into 4 pieces.
- Now add few green chillies and soaked poppy seed and make a smooth paste.
- Heat mustard oil and then add the pointed gourd and lightly fry it. Add little bit of salt and fry it for 2-3 mins on medium heat and remove the fried potol when done.
- Add little more mustard oil and then temper with black cumin and few green chillies. Then add the chopped onion and fry it until it is light brown.
- Now add the fried potol and the poppy seed paste. Mix it well and cook it for a min. Add half a glass of water and saute it for 2 more mins.
- Now add a glass of water, and then salt and sugar as per taste. Put the lid and cook it for 5-7 mins until the water little bit dries up.
- Lastly garnish with green chillies and take it out of the flame.
Potol posto or Pointed gourd in poppy seeds is now ready. Enjoy it with white rice. It took me about 30 mins to prepare this dish and it serves 2-3 people.
If you enjoyed this post, consider leaving a comment and subscribe to my YouTube Channel