Malai Prawn – Chingri / Shrimp Malai Curry
It is an all-time favorite traditional Bengali dish. For this preparation I prefer large fresh prawns with heads on. Chingri Macher Malai curry tastes extremely great with hot steamed white rice.
Serving Size: 2-3 people
Cooking Time: 45 mins
- Fresh tiger shrimp or Bagda chingri with shell on (cut and cleaned and don’t forget to remove the veins from all the shrimps)
- 1 chopped Onion
- Half a cup of shredded Coconut
- Half a cup of Coconut milk
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1’’ long Ginger
- 4 cloves of Garlic
- 4 – 5 Green Chillies slit
- 1 dried red chilly
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilly powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1’’ cube of Butter
- Mustard oil,
- Salt and Sugar to taste
- First insert toothpick inside all the shrimps just to avoid bending of the shrimp while cooking this will also make the shrimp look bigger after cooking.
- Now make paste of ginger, garlic and few green chillies. Season the shrimp with little bit of salt and turmeric powder and mix it evenly.
- Heat mustard oil and then lightly fry the shrimps. Remove the shrimps when it turned into nice orange color.
- Now Add little more mustard oil then add bay leaf and dried red chilly to sputter in oil.
- After a min add the chopped onion. Add ginger garlic paste when onion is turned into nice golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Cook it for 5 mins until the tomatoes becomes soft.
- Add all the spices and mix everything together. Add salt and sugar as per taste.
- Add the shredded coconut and mix with all the spices. Add a glass of water and bring the mixture to a nice boil.
- When it starts to boil, add the fried shrimp, coconut milk and green chillies. Put the lid on and cook it for about 5- 7 mins.
- Lastly add butter and Garam masala powder. Mix well and cover the lid. Preparation is now ready.
Enjoy Chingri Macher Malai curry with hot steamed ricde. it took me about 45 mins to prepare this recipe and serves 2-3 people.
If you enjoyed this post, consider leaving a comment and subscribe to my YouTube Channel