It’s a traditional way of preparing Mutton curry. I cook mutton rarely but I remember my mom used to make it on the weekends mostly for Sunday lunch with large size potato halves in this dish.
Serving Size: 3-4 people
Cooking Time: 1:30 hour
- 500 gms of Mutton cut into 1” cubes
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 2 Potatoes cut into halves
- Half a cup of Ginger and Garlic paste
- 3 Green Chillies paste
- Whole Garam Masala ( Cardamom, Cloves, Cinnamon stick and Star Anise )
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilly powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- Mustard oil
- Salt and Sugar to taste
- First marinate the mutton. Sprinkle little bit of salt, turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilly powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and then yogurt and mix it well. Cover it and keep it in the refrigerator about 6-7 hrs.
- Heat mustard oil in the pressure cooker. Then lightly fry the potatoes. Sprinkle little bit of salt. Remove it when fried.
- Now add bay leaf and whole garam masala to sputter in oil. Add onion and fry it until it is golden brown. Then add ginger and garlic paste and mix it well.
- Then add chopped tomatoes. Stir it, then add the marinated mutton and mix it well. On a medium heat fry it for about half an hour.Add little bit of water if needed.
- Add potatoes. Then add all the spices: kasuri methi, garam masala powder, green chillies paste, salt and sugar as per taste and mix it well.
- Now add water for curry. Cover the lid of the pressure cooker and cook it for about 4-5 whistle.
- Mutton curry is now ready.
Enjoy Mutton Curry with white rice. It took me about one and half hour to prepare this recipe and serves 3-4 people.