The main ingredient of Shukto is bitter gourd or Korola which is bitter in taste. Sukto is cooked with different vegetables with a sightly bitter taste of bitter gourd and as well as unique individual tastes of the different vegetables.
Serving Size: 3-4 people
Cooking Time: 45 mins
- 2 Korola or Bitter gourd
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Potato
- 3 Potol or Pointed gourd
- 1 Eggplant
- Few Drumstick
- 1 Green Banana
- 1 tsp Black Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Posto
- Half tsp Radhuni soaked in water
- 1 tsp Bengali Five spices
- 1 “ long Ginger paste
- Paste of 3 Green chillies
- Few Dal Vadi
- 1 Bayleaf
- half cup Milk
- Mustard Oil
- Salt and Sugar to taste
- First make a paste of yellow mustard seeds, radhuni, black mustard seeds and posto.
- Now heat mustard oil and lightly fry the dal vadi. Remove it when done.
- Fry the bitter gourd separately to avoid the bitterness. Remove it when done.
- Then fry all the vegetables on medium heat. Remove it when done.
- For tempering add bayleaf and paanch phoron (Bengal Five Spices) and then ginger paste and half a glass of water and stir it.
- Ad mustard poppy seeds paste and green chillies paste. Mix it well.
- When it starts to boil add all the fried vegetables and dal vadi.
- Then add a glass of water, salt and sugar .Lastly add milk and cover the lid and cook it for 10 mins.
- Remove it when done.
Enjoy Shukto with hot white rice. It took me about 45 mins to prepare this recipe and serves 3-4 people.