The Koi is also known as climbing perch fish. Typically, you can get fresh fish from the market as they stay alive for several hours without water. But today I’m going to use frozen and fully cleaned ones which I usually get from Bangladeshi grocery stores.
Serving Size: 2-3 people
Cooking Time: 45 mins
- Koi or Climbing Perch fish cut and cleaned
- 1 tsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp of Kalo jeera or Black Cumin
- 4-5 Green Chillies slit
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Few Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- First make a paste of black and yellow mustard Seeds with few green chillies.
- Now marinate fish with little bit of salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat mustard oil and then lightly fry the fish for about 3-4 mins each side on medium heat. Remove it and keep it aside when done.
- Add some more mustard oil and then temper with black cumin and few green chillies.
- Now add the fried fish and then turmeric powder, mustard paste and a glass of hot water.
- Mix it well and then add salt as per taste
- Put the lid on and cook it for 5-7 mins on medium heat.
- Lastly garnish with few green chillies and fresh coriander leaves.
Enjoy Koi fish curry with hot steamed rice. It took me about 45 mins to prepare this recipe and serves 2-3 people.