GHUGNI – Spicy Yellow Peas Curry
Ghugni is a popular Bengali snack recipe which goes well with puffed rice or luchi. It is also one of the popular street food in Bengal.
Serving Size: 3-4 people
Cooking Time: 45 mins
- Whole Yellow Peas ( Soaked in water overnight and then boiled it )
- 1 Potato cut into small blocks
- Ginger Paste
- Garlic Paste
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- Sweet Tamarind paste
- Half of a Tomato
- Red Chilly Powder
- Turmeric Powder
- Coriander Powder
- Cumin Powder
- Chopped Green chillies
- For Garnishing:
- Coriander Leaves
- Sliced Coconut
- For Bhaja Masala or Roasted Spices:
- Coriander Seeds
- Fennel Seeds
- Red Chilly Flakes
- Cumin seeds
- First prepare the Bhaja Masala: add Coriander Seeds, Fennel Seeds, Cumin Seeds and Red Chilly Flakes and stir it on the pan until it turns light brown and then grind it.
- Heat white oil in a pan and add chopped onion, and few green chillies. Stir it well until it turns light brown.
- Then add ginger paste, and garlic paste until the raw flavor is gone.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook it until it is soft.
- Then add all the spices: cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and red chilly powder and mix it well.
- Now add the potatoes and stir it until the oil oozes out. Then add the boiled peas and mix it well.
- Then add a glass of water, salt and sugar as per taste. Cover the lid and cook it for 5 mins.
- Ghugni is now done and lastly add tamarind paste and bhaja masala.
Enjoy Ghugni or Yellow peas curry with puffed rice or some puri.It took me about 45 mins to prepare this recipe and served 3-4 people.
If you enjoyed this post, consider leaving a comment and subscribe to my YouTube Channel