Egg plant or Brinjal bharta is my favorite for its smoky burnt flavor.
Serving Size: 2-3 people
Cooking Time: 45 mins
- 1 Eggplant
- Cumin Seeds
- Chopped Onion
- Ginger Paste
- Garlic Paste
- Chopped Green Chillies
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Cumin Powder
- Coriander Powder
- Turmeric Powder
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
- First poke some holes into the brinjal with a fork and then apply little bit of oil on the eggplant. Put it on the heated stove. After 2-3 mins rotate the brinjal until it is completely soft.
- After 15-20 mins it will be done. Take it out and peel of the skin. Smash it slightly.
- Now heat mustard oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds to sputter in oil. Then add chopped garlic and fry it little bit.
- Then add ginger and stir it well.
- Add the chopped onion and fry it until it is light brown.
- Then add chopped green chillies and stir it well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook it until it is soft.
- Then add all the spices: Cumin powder, Coriander powder, and Turmeric powder. Mix it well.
- Then add a glass of water, salt and sugar as per taste and mix it well.
- Then bring it to a nice boil and make a thick gravy.
- Then add the roasted brinjal into the pan and then mix it nicely with the gravy.
- Cook it for about 2-3 mins and lastly add fresh coriander leaves.
Enjoy Eggplant Bharta with roti or paratha. It took me about 45 mins to prepare this recipe and serves 2-3 people.