Pui Shak Chorchori – Basella Leaf Curry
Pui Shak or Basella leaf is also known as Malabar spinach. Pui Shaag is a typical Bengali dish. It’s cooked with prawn and pumpkin. This is a simple preparation that goes well with rice .
Cooking Time: 30 Mins
- 500 gm Pui Shak or Basella leaf / Malabar Spinach
- 250 gm Pumpkin
- 1 Potato
- 5-6 medium size Prawn
- 3 Green Chilly
- 1 Red chilly
- 1 tsp Panch Phoron or Bengali Five Spice
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- Mustard oil
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- Cut and clean the shag first, cut the leaves and then chop them, also cut the data ( twigs ) approx 1 inch long pieces.
- Cut pumpkin and potatoes into block size.
- Heat mustard oil and in a medium heat fry shrimp till they are a light golden-yellow. Don’t fry them too much, as they will get tough. When done keep it aside.
- In the same pan add red chilly and panch phoron to crackle in oil.
- Fry the chopped potato untill it is light golden in color.
- Add pumpkin and cook until tender.
- Add green chillies mix well and cook for 2 more mins.
- Now add the chopped Pui shag and stir continuously. Mix well and cook till potatoes and pumpkin are done.
- You can cover and cook to make it cook faster, but often remove the cover and give a good stir. The greens will release a lot of water which you want to dry up.
- Add salt and sugar and mix well.
- Add the shrimp and mix well with the greens.
- Cover the lid and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Take out of flame when done.
Serve Pui Shaker Chorchori with white rice. It took about 30 mins to prepare and serves 3 to 4 people.
If you enjoyed this post, consider leaving a comment and subscribe to my YouTube Channel