Daab Chingri – Shrimp in Tender Coconut
Daab Chingri is an authentic traditional Bengali recipe. This is a very special dish which is occasionally prepared at home. I use the tender coconut shell to make delicious Daab Chingri.
Servings : 2
Cooking Time: 25 mins
- 1 Daab or Tender coconut. Make sure it is really tender so that the white kernel is soft.
- 5 large size chingri or raw prawn
- 4 to 5 green chilly slit
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 inch long ginger grated
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic paste
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 2 tsp of mustard seed
- 1 tsp of panchpohron or Bengal Five Spices
- Some atta or flour dough
- Mustard oil salt and sugar to taste
- Heat mustard oil in a pan then add panch phoron or Bengal five spices which will provide a good flavor.
- When panch poron is crackle in oil then add the onion and saute for 5 mins in a medium heat. Then add grated ginger and garlic paste. Stir well and cook it for 3-4 mins until the raw flavor is gone.
- Now keep it aside and let it cool .
- Make a hole on the top of the coconut. Do not throw away the lid as you’ll need to seal the coconut while cooking the shrimp
- Retain coconut water and scrap out the coconut kernel.
- In a blender add the coconut water and kernels and grind well so that you will get a nice thick coconut gravy. Again in the blender add slit green chilly and mustard seeds and make a paste .
- In a bowl, mix the prawn with salt and turmeric powder then add the fried mixture, mustard paste, and coconut mixture and mix well
- Put the mixture of chingri inside the daab.
- Put the lid back on the coconut and seal the edges with atta dough so that the flavor remains inside.
- Preheat oven at 450 degree F and then let it cook for 45 mins.
- Remove the coconut when done and take out the sealed atta from the edges.
Enjoy Daab Chingri hot with white basmati rice. It took about 1 hour to prepare this recipe and serves 1-2 people.
If you enjoyed this post, consider leaving a comment and subscribe to my YouTube Channel