Egg Tarka is highly popular in roadside Dhaba. There are varieties of Tarka Dal. However, Bengali Tarka Dal is prepared with whole Moong dal or Green Gram. In Bengal it is made with egg, chicken, or mutton. You can make it vegetarian too without egg or meat. It goes well with roti or parathas.
Servings : 2
Cooking Time: 25 mins
- 200 gms Whole Green Mug Dal soaked in water overnight
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Tomato cut into small pieces
- Coconut sliced into small pieces
- 1 inch Long Ginger
- 4-5 Cloves of Garlic
- 3 Green chilies
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilly powder
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp of Hing or Asafetida
- White oil
- Salt & Sugar to taste
- Boil the tarka dal with little bit of salt. When boiled keep it aside. Don’t drain out the water from boiled dal it will be used in the curry.
- Make ginger and garlic paste.
- Heat white oil in a pan and then add the eggs and scramble it. Don’t fry too much, when done take it out.
- Heat little more oil then add Hing and chopped green chillies.
- After a min add the chopped coconut and fry it until it is light brown.
- Add onion and fry it until they are translucent.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and fry it for 2 more mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and mix it well until it is completely crushed.
- Add all the spices coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilly powder and turmeric powder and mix well. Add little more water so that the spices do not burn.
- Add salt and sugar as per your taste.
- Add rest of the green chillies and mix it well.
- Add the boiled dal and mix with the spices. Cover the lid and cook it for 10 mins on a medium heat.
- Lastly add the scrambled egg ad mix well.
Egg Tarka Dal is now done. Serve egg tarka dal hot with roomali roti or parathas. It took about 1 hr to prepare this recipe and serves 3-4 people.